At Arbor, we’re on a mission to transform the way schools work for the better.
Our products are transforming the way schools use data to bring about positive change by empowering schools and teachers. Arbor reduces the amount of time spent on administrative tasks, and increases their time where it matters, with the students!
We’re in scale up mode and have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Software Engineer to work on the development of a new module for release in 2022! Day to day you’ll be hands-on with PHP utilising Zend and Symfony frameworks as well as mysql databases following OOP principles (Solid/Dry), writing tests for your code base before releasing on to our AWS infrastructure utilising our CI/CD pipelines.
A day in the life of a Software Engineer at Arbor
- Working collaboratively in an agile environment, producing well written code using standard design patterns and methods.
- Working closely with the Technical Lead, helping to solutionise feature requests
- Create appropriate documentation for new feature developments, including diagrams where appropriate
- Planning and writing your tests around new features to ensure appropriate test coverage
- Participating in code reviews and pair programming with your peers
- Participate in tech-talks and team based learning to ensure knowledge is spread
- Participating in internal and external tech-talks and team based learning to knowledge share across the business
Within 1 month, you’ll: be getting to know our codebase and wider tech stack and establishing an outline of your project deliverables with the Technical Lead and Product Manager
Within 3 months, you’ll be working on development of new features and contributing towards the core systems and platforms. Assisting in the resolution of bugs and issues within the system and creating relevant technical documentation
Within 6-12 months, you’ll have played a key role in delivering a first release of the new Arbor module in collaboration with product and marketing
We’re looking for a software engineer with passion and who wants to build products that make an impact.
Beyond that, we’d love to see:
- Commercial experience as a software engineering experience in a SaaS business
- You’re passionate about PHP and you follow development best practices (OOP)
- You have an understanding of relational database technologies (mySql
- You’re comfortable expressing ideas and solutions to your team and wider business groups
- You are familiar with scrum and/or other agile development processes
- Familiarity with software best practices such as Refactoring, Clean Code, Domain-Driven Design, Test-Driven Development.
Kick things off with a 30 minute video call with Arbor’s Talent team.
Next up will be a 60 minute interview with the hiring manager.
To close out the interview process it will be a 90 minute panel interview including a technical assessment.
What we offer
Aside from the chance to work alongside a team of hard-working, passionate people in a role where you’ll see the impact of your work everyday.
- Flexible working - 1-2 days in the office a month unless you want to go more!
- We believe in supporting your professional growth and provide team managers with a training budget to spend on courses for you and your team.
- As an engineer you’ll be provided with a subscription to Udemy for engineering training resources
- We promote positive well being and as part of this you’ll have access to our Employee Assistance Program as well as being able to speak to trained mental health first aiders
- Frequent internal lunch and learns, opportunities to learn from colleagues, and dedicated time off to attend conferences or training
- We offer additional discretionary holidays, including half day Fridays during the school summer holidays
Arbor Education is an equal opportunities organisation
Our goal is for Arbor to be a workplace which represents, celebrates and supports people from all backgrounds, and which gives them the tools they need to thrive - whatever their ambitions may be.
We want to make sure we build the best products for our schools, and we passionately believe that starts with building a workforce as diverse as the communities we serve. We’re actively working on this, and we’re always open to feedback. Let us know your thoughts! If you need any adjustments to be made to support you through the recruitment process, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Refer a friend: Know someone else who would be good for this role? You can refer a friend, family member or colleague, if they are offered a role with Arbor, we will say thank you with a voucher valued up to £250! Simply email: email@example.com