At Arbor, we’re on a mission to transform the way schools work for the better.
Our products are transforming the way schools use data to bring about positive change by empowering schools and teachers. Arbor reduces the amount of time spent on administrative tasks, and increases their time where it matters, with the students!
We’re in scale up mode and have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Software Engineer to work directly with Arbor’s Head of product and lead the development of a new product for release in 2022! You’ll be hands-on with the latest PHP versions and frameworks, get to work on the frontend with React and interact with our AWS infrastructure utilising CI/CD pipelines for releases.
A day in the life of a Senior Software Engineer at Arbor
- Working collaboratively in an agile environment, producing well written code using standard design patterns and methods.
- You’ll provide day-to-day mentoring to other software engineers in the team , helping them to develop and grow as product engineers.
- Be the link between the business and engineering, working closely with Arbors Head of Product to create appropriate documentation for new product developments, including diagrams where appropriate.
- Carry out code reviews and pair programming with your peers.
- Participating in internal and external tech-talks and team based learning to ensure knowledge sharing across the business
Within 1 month, you’ll: Establish a working baseline for the new product, working with the Head of Product to ensure clearly outlined project deliverables are in place and a agreed upon way of working within the team
Within 3 months, you’ll be providing updates on technical strategy for the ongoing development of the new product
Within 6-12 months, you’ll have delivered a first release of the new Arbor product ready for release into the market in collaboration with product and marketing
- Commercial experience as a software engineering experience in an enterprise software product setting.
- A familiarity with Scrum methodology or other agile development processes
- Familiar with software best practices such as Refactoring, Clean Code, Domain-Driven Design, Test-Driven Development.
It would be awesome if you have:
- Knowledge of HR software products
What we offer
Aside from the chance to work alongside a team of hard-working, passionate people in a role where you’ll see the impact of your work everyday.
- We believe in supporting your professional growth and provide team managers with a training budget to spend on courses for you and your team.
- You’ll be provided with a subscription to Udemy for engineering training resources
- Flexible remote working - 1-2 days in the office a month unless you want to go more!
- We promote positive well being and as part of this you’ll have access to our Employee Assistance Program as well as being able to speak to trained mental health first aiders
- Frequent internal lunch and learns, opportunities to learn from colleagues, and dedicated time off to attend conferences or training
- We offer additional discretionary holidays, including half day Fridays during the school summer holidays
The interview process consists of a 45 minute video screen with Arbor’s Talent team. Next up will be a 60 minute interview with the hiring manager. To close out the interview process it will be a 90 minute panel interview and will include a technical assessment.
Arbor Education is an equal opportunities organisation
Our goal is for Arbor to be a workplace which represents, celebrates and supports people from all backgrounds, and which gives them the tools they need to thrive - whatever their ambitions may be.
We want to make sure we build the best products for our schools, and we passionately believe that starts with building a workforce as diverse as the communities we serve. We’re actively working on this, and we’re always open to feedback. Let us know your thoughts! If you need any adjustments to be made to support you through the recruitment process, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Refer a friend: Know someone else who would be good for this role? You can refer a friend, family member or colleague, if they are offered a role with Arbor, we will say thank you with a voucher valued up to £200! Simply email: email@example.com