At Arbor, we’re on a mission to transform the way schools work for the better.
Our products are transforming the way schools use data to bring about positive change by empowering schools and teachers. Arbor reduces the amount of time spent on administrative tasks, and increases their time where it matters, with the students!
Arbor’s QA team is pivotal to our commitment to deliver superb quality software to our customer base. Working directly with Arbor’s product delivery teams, you'll define test plans including good testable acceptance criteria for each story that ensure bugs and issues are found during development and before being released into production.
You will also work with Arbor’s Head of Architecture supporting the implementation of processes and tooling required to perform automated testing across all products and services, and ensuring these processes are embedded as part of our Continuous Delivery pipelines.
After you have completed your initial onboarding to the Arbor Education team your own development and the impact you’ll make to us will look similar to:
Within 3 months you will be working autonomously within product teams: developing test plans, executing tests, monitoring results and seeking any opportunity to raise the bar for quality.
Within 6 months you will be contributing to quality process improvements at the team level and becoming familiar with core tooling such as our automated regression suite
Within 12 months you will be proactively helping to refine company-wide QA processes, making contributions to automated tests and developing your skills to make an even bigger impact
A day in the life of a QA Engineer at Arbor
- Working closely with Product Managers to define testable acceptance criteria for each story
- Working with Arbor's engineering teams to ensure acceptance criteria are met and tested
- Performing manual and exploratory testing across major feature releases, and regression testing where necessary
- Contributing to our growing regression test pack with critical test flows
- Define and implement test plans for major releases covering both functional and non-functional requirements
- Identifying, recording and documenting bugs
- Performing thorough regression testing when bugs are resolved
- Developing and applying test processes for new and existing products
- Tracking quality assurance metrics, like change failure rate and open defect counts
- Researching new testing tools and test strategies to use in future releases
- Ideally 2+ years experience as a QA engineer, writing and executing test plans
- Writing SQL queries to extract and validate data directly from database tables.
- You’re comfortable creating documentation, reporting on issues found, how they impact the customer and clear steps for reproduction
- You have experience working with Product Managers to understand business requirements, and define acceptance criteria and test strategies around them
Bonus points if you have
- Experience with enterprise software development
- Experience working in a fast paced agile environment
- Experience of BDD using Cucumber or similar tools
- experience writing custom scripts to test API driven data
The QA interview process consists of a 45 minute video screen with Arbor’s Talent team. Next up will be a 60 minute interview with the hiring manager. To close out the interview process it will be a 90 minute panel interview and include a technical assessment.
What we offer
Aside from the chance to work alongside a team of hard-working, passionate people in a role where you’ll see the impact of your work everyday. We also offer:
- We believe in supporting your professional growth so we provide you with a set training budget and give you the freedom to choose how you spend it. We also provide a subscription to Udemy for engineering training resources
- We promote positive well being and as part of this you’ll have access to our Employee Assistance Program as well as being able to speak to trained mental health first aiders
- Frequent internal Tech Talks, opportunities to learn from colleagues, and dedicated time off to attend conferences or training
- We are all currently WFH due to covid and will continue to provide flexible work arrangements post covid
- We offer additional discretionary holidays, including half day Fridays during the school summer holidays
Arbor Education is an equal opportunities organisation
Our goal is for Arbor to be a workplace which represents, celebrates and supports people from all backgrounds, and which gives them the tools they need to thrive - whatever their ambitions may be.
We want to make sure we build the best products for our schools, and we passionately believe that starts with building a workforce as diverse as the communities we serve. We’re actively working on this, and we’re always open to feedback. Let us know your thoughts!
If you need any adjustments to be made to support you through the recruitment process, let us know at email@example.com
Refer a friend: Know someone else who would be good for this role? You can refer a friend, family member or colleague, if they are offered a role with Arbor, we will say thank you with a voucher valued up to £200! Simply email: firstname.lastname@example.org